North Carolina’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is improving the system of services offered to people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities.
Supports Intensity Scale® (SIS®)
- Create a more equitable system
- Use resources efficiently and effectively
- Make sure people get the right support for their needs
The first step in implementing Innovations Plus is to:
- Use an objective assessment called the Supports Intensity Scale®(SIS®)
- Find out about the support needs of people with intellectual and /or developmental disabilities participating in the North Carolina Innovations Waiver.
What makes the Supports Intensity Scale® unique and why is North Carolina using it?
- SIS® is a comprehensive, standardized, reliable and valid support needs assessment
- It is positive and supports oriented, rather than deficit oriented
- SIS®uses a small group interview to fully involve individuals and other respondents and to consider the supports needed to meet individual needs and promote personal growth
- It helps us to better understand the supports needed by someone to have an “Everyday Life”
- It enhances the person centered planning process, but does not replace it
- It will replace the NC SNAP for all individuals on the Innovations Waiver (formerly CAP recipients)
- SIS® gives solid information about support needs that can be used to make a reliable collective comparison of consumers’ needs across the state
- It will collect data to begin planning for a systematic process for determining distribution of funding based on intensity of need
What it is NOT:
- It is NOT a test, there are no right or wrong answers, just honest ones
- It is NOT a diagnostic evaluation or psychological evaluation
- It does NOT provide a diagnosis or determination of medical necessity
Please follow this link to view an informative (10 minute) video from a consumer’s perspective of what the SIS® does: Preparing for your SIS® evaluation.